We are here with another super yummy and easy recipe. This time we thought of keeping it very traditional and so here is the recipe of Halwa puri to make your breakfast a perfect one. I’m sure, all of you would love this Sunday special treatment with lots of Puri with Lahori Chanay and Makhadi Halwa. This breakfast recipe is very famous in Lahore restaurants and even other cities of the country. There are a lot of restaurants that are serving Halwa Puri every Sunday and some will even offer it on weekends. It’s a pretty interesting activity for friends and family to wake up early and have an amazing breakfast. But why not try this at home? With better quality products and a hygienic environment. Right?
This beautiful recipe is by Hajra’s Cookbook. She is a wonderful home cook who owns her own Youtube channel for yummy recipes. So, let’s see how Halwa Puri can be made at the ease of your very own kitchen.
Halwa Puri Nashta
For making Halwa Puri nashta, you need to make three different components. You’ll learn how to make Lahori Chanay, Puri and Makhadi Halwa from this article. All the required ingredients for each component are mentioned separately with a simple method. For your ease, all the videos are uploaded on Hajra’s Cookbook Youtube Channel.
Ingredients For Chanay
- 0.5 kg White Chickpeas
- 0.5 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Oil
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli
- 1.5 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Zeera
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- half tsp Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Dried Dhaniya
- Green Chillies for garnishing
Ingredients For Puri
- 2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 0.5 cup Wheat Flour
- 2 tbsp Ghee
Ingredients For Makhadi Halwa
- 2 cup Sooji (Semolina)
- 2 cup Sugar
- Half cup Ghee
For Lahori Chanay
- Take white chickpeas in a bowl and add water. Add half a teaspoon of baking soda and soak them overnight
- Boil the soaked chickpeas in a pressure cooker for at least 20 minutes.
- Now add oil to a pot and after heating for few seconds add all the dried spices. Then add a small amount of water to the mixture and fry it well.
- You can take out all the extra oil in a bowl and save it for later use.
- Now add the boiled chickpeas to the mixture of water, oil and spices. Stir well and let it fry for some time. Mix well and cover the lid for 5 minutes.
- Take out the gravy in any dish you want to serve in. Then add the extra oil on top of this gravy you took out earlier.
- Add garnish for presentation
For Special Puri
- Add All-Purpose flour and what flour in a bowl. Add ghee and gentle mix both the things
- Then add a small amount of water to evenly mix and knead the dough for some time.
- Keep the dough for a while before making a small ball out of it
- Once the dough is set you can make small balls with your hands.
- Place a frying pan on the stove, add oil and heat it for 1-2 minutes
- Flatten these round balls to make a thin circular roti
- Now one by one add them into the frying pan. While in a pan, gently press the Puri with a spoon to make it fluffy and crispy.
- For good results, always remember that the oil should be very hot
For Makhadi Halwa
- Take Semolina in a bowl and add water to soak it for 30 minutes.
- Add sugar, Ghee and cardamom in a frying pan and keep mixing till the sugar gets slightly brown.
- Now add soaked Semolina with its water into this frying pan. Mix everything and keep stirring on medium-high flame.
- Keep mixing till all the water gets dried and the mixture turns golden brown. You can take out extra oil if you like.
- Lastly, add dry fruits for garnishing. Serve it with Puri and Lahori Chanay.
A Little About Chef Hajra
Hajra is an engineer by profession but a chef and makeup junkie at heart. She has been thinking about starting a restaurant of my own for as long as she can remember. And as it turns out, being quarantined has motivated her to do the next best thing, starting a YouTube channel. She wanted to create a space where she can share her fun food recipes, cool food hacks and some very creative DIYs. Her channel is now almost a year old and really happy to have created this community for all of you and for her.
Do check out this amazing and simple recipe with your friends and family. Share and give your feedback as your thoughts matter the most. Roaming Pakistan will keep sharing more interesting content with all of you so keep following for more!